AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Mowed 2nd cutting of alfalfa/grass mix today (pics)
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

Jim
Posted 6/27/2016 23:13 (#5380172)
Subject: Mowed 2nd cutting of alfalfa/grass mix today (pics)

Driftless SW Wisconsin

I mowed second cutting alfalfa/grass mix today. Freshly mowed hay is about the most pleasant smell I can imagine. Going round and round the field with about 9 ft cut at a time is also a good antidote for Brexit info overdose ;-)

My very experienced neighbor with the wrapper said to mow it today, spread as wide as I can, let it sit tomorrow, rake, bale and inline wrap on Wednesday. I said yes sir. NWS forecast has 50% chance of showers Wed night and Thursday so we want to get it wrapped by dark on Wed. I'd like some dry hay but there is almost zero chance of getting this stuff dry enough to put in the shed any time soon without getting rained on. Seems to me this mix is too good to let it get wet.

This mix looked a lot better than I thought it would. Alfalfa was in more bloom than I would like but also a lot of tonnage.  The JD 630 did a good job. I'm still experimenting with settings to get it to spread the windrow as wide as possible. I'm getting there. Not intuitively obvious that closing the top flap makes the spread wider...but that's what it does... I have tractor tires moved in for corn and ran over part of the windrow. Hopefully not a problem as we are going to make baleage.

Here are a number of pics from today. We got only a 1/2" of rain Saturday night but it really perked things up from the looks of it.  Even though we are behind on precip for the growing season, alfalfa seems to have the roots to reach down into our clay for moisture.

A group of neighbors who actually attended the one room school house with the red roof in the last picture do a great job of maintaining it.  The inside is just as it was the last day it was used in the late 1950's.

Edited by Jim 6/27/2016 23:35

(IMG028 Mowing second crop alfalfa-grass hay mix 062716.jpg)

(IMG030 Mowing second crop alfalfa-grass hay mix 062716.jpg)

(IMG032 Mowing second crop alfalfa-grass hay mix 062716.jpg)

(IMG033 Mowing second crop alfalfa-grass hay mix 062716.jpg)

(IMG036 Mowing second crop alfalfa-grass hay mix 062716.jpg)

(IMG039 Mowing second crop alfalfa-grass hay mix 062716.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments IMG028 Mowing second crop alfalfa-grass hay mix 062716.jpg (141KB - 325 downloads)
Attachments IMG030 Mowing second crop alfalfa-grass hay mix 062716.jpg (160KB - 343 downloads)
Attachments IMG032 Mowing second crop alfalfa-grass hay mix 062716.jpg (120KB - 347 downloads)
Attachments IMG033 Mowing second crop alfalfa-grass hay mix 062716.jpg (129KB - 301 downloads)
Attachments IMG036 Mowing second crop alfalfa-grass hay mix 062716.jpg (101KB - 337 downloads)
Attachments IMG039 Mowing second crop alfalfa-grass hay mix 062716.jpg (120KB - 310 downloads)
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)