AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Organic Farming Conversion
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

frmerndel
Posted 6/28/2016 11:46 (#5380885 - in reply to #5379834)
Subject: RE: Organic Farming Conversion

Bottom line it's business.... It's still farming but a different facet of the business. If you have a local market which it sounds like you do and are willing to make the transition go for it. I did it myself based on price, corn is $16, milo is $10.50, and beans are $29. Less yield? Corn some, milo not really, and beans.... 40-50 bu/a consistently. Once we went through the whole $7 corn phase I didn't see that coming back for a long..... time and I didn't have any interest in growing the operation with such slim margins. Just didn't make sense..... I grew up cultivating everything 2 or 3 times so really... it's old hat, more work.... I guess. Your most profitable rotation is milo and beans. Cover crops are a very important part of the system and need to be considered as well as paying attention too your early spring flushes of weeds. If you can suck it up and go through the transition go for it! Do I think you need newer equipment.... no way. A simple 3pt guidance hitch if you really want to get excited but not needed. Will organic stay around? Well..... I know a gentleman that's done it for close to 40 years.... has done very well and continues to grow his operation and did it without storage until recently. He built a full scale storage facility on the farm 3 years ago, he has always hired his hauling out. Otherwise a bunch of gravity wagons work just fine. Always remember.... it's long term. Consult your state dept of ag about the application, approvals, annual certification permit, cost of the permit, and all of the other good stuff but it's not hateful.
E mail is good.

Edited by frmerndel 6/28/2016 11:48
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)