AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Sheep sales
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

jakerockinh
Posted 6/28/2016 16:42 (#5381283 - in reply to #5381163)
Subject: RE: Sheep sales

Kansas
Seth_ia - 6/28/2016 15:05

Unfortunately what they are worth and their monetary value are likely no where near close. When I look at the recent results from the only reported sheep auction in the state of Iowa, breeding ewes are bringing nearly the same money as heavy slaughter ewes. Notice how fats are going up but feeder prices are pretty lackluster lately. The industry is going to he!! in a hand basket. There is just not much interest in building flocks and a solid base of genetics. The majority of commercial operations have very little selection criteria for breeding stock besides prolificacy.

I have to ask the question and I really don't intend to sound mean, but what's special about these sheep that you want to direct them to a higher value market channel? 80 ewes is barely a drop in the bucket, now if it was 800 that is another story. If your dealing in commercial ewes, your likely not going to ever realize their genetic value in dollars. Offer your partner cull price and hold on to them yourself. If you are selling breeding stock of what ever kind, then that is another situation all together.

For such a small number, craigslist is probably your best bet. Sheep seem to always be listed at twice there value on there.

Drop in the bucket for one is a chunk of change for another. I know if I wanted to buy this set of ewes from somewhere else they would cost me $300 a piece to replace them. So there is a big dollar spread between slaughter price and replacement price. We have worked hard to have high quality stuff so just as well attempt to collect something out of that.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)