AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Fescue Toxicity Questions
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

MU1979
Posted 6/27/2016 07:13 (#5378278)
Subject: Fescue Toxicity Questions

Missouri

Recent article has statement that Interests me.  This is a new line of thinking and I have some question to its application.

"If you wrap toxic fescue, you preserve the toxins.  As hay dries and is baled the toxin decreases about half in a month. The longer the hay is stored the more the toxins decompose."

I have never heard that before.  Along this line of thinking.  It would be factored late hay harvesting that directly correlate to a high percentage of the seed being knocked out by the time it makes it to the bale. Should be lower toxic. (Wow low protein but less toxic)

It also makes me think back to a discussion several years ago where a producer commented here on the board about having cattle abort or something from the toxic fescue hay that got shipped to him.  Add in that if I remember correct Kentucky 31 seed held over a year will be reduced or free of toxins. (something close to that)

As an outside statement, but related have watched the DOT spray roadsides with what looks to be round up, that suppresses the seed head.  While this has be played with over the years in research studies it never took off.  What I see happening on the road sides could actually be a widespread experiment.   Some grad student need a topic.  Pull us some samples around the state.  

Understanding Fescue goes along way to profitability of Cattle.  Interesting fluid discussion.  Original statement just got my attention.

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)