AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

all about center pivots
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

Mikefox95
Posted 6/26/2016 09:10 (#5376421)
Subject: all about center pivots

Leamington canada
i find them pretty intriguing. we dont irrigate at home but the way this summer is going it seems more and more feasible, i work for a veggie farm a few roads away from my farm and they irrigate almost everything, mostly by gun and boom travelers and drip irrigation, granted they are on sand-sandy loam soil for the processing vegetables. im curious to hear from folks down midwest and south USA who use pivots for corn, wheat, soybeans, sorghum. grain cash crops basically, how does it pay back? how often do you use it in the growing season? compared to the amount of rainfall you get? does it cause any compaction issues? im on a heavy clay soil at home here and am always concerned about going in there while its wet, so having a moving "wet spot" with wheels on it seems like it may cause rutting and compaction, and how difficult is it to work around them for tillage, planting, spraying, any field work? any "real life" experience or info would be greatly appreciated as the sales brochures only tell you so much!

thanks guys and gals
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)