AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Friendly Owl
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Kitchen TableMessage format

Red Paint
Posted 6/25/2016 12:37 (#5375036 - in reply to #5374703)
Subject: RE: Superstitious Owl's . . . .

SW “Ohia”
iseedit,

Personally, I like seeing/hearing owls. I think they are fascinating creatures and certainly serve a great purpose. We've had those Barred Owls in the back woodlot for my entire life and if you call them just right, they will hoot back to you. Never "actually" seen one though.

Barn Owls tend to come and go. Dad will often see one sitting on a rafter in the barn when he feeds in the early morning during winter. Usually hang around for a minute after he turns the lights on and then it will fly off. They're more than welcome to stay if they catch mice and such. I've seen them sitting on our corner fence post along the road when I come home very late during the summer.

Not too many Great Horned Owls that are seen or heard. Occasionally hear a Screech Owl or a tiny Saw Whet Owl on warm spring nights. The latter can be kinda spooky if you aren't familiar with their sound.

I agree that they look quite "wise" when they roost. Doesn't surprise me that some people view them as otherworldly or sent as a omen. They aren't seen very often and typically only at night. I'd be willing to bet that if you asked some elderly folks about superstitions related to owls, they would have some or would say their parents did. The old farmer that I work for talks of his Dad chasing an owl off one night that was looking in their kitchen window.

This area is a 50/50 mix of deciduous hardwoods and tillable ground so raptors are pretty common. Most every field is surrounded by tall trees to roost and they love to follow a tractor when mowing hay or bush hogging.

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)