AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Friendly Owl
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Kitchen TableMessage format

iseedit
Posted 6/25/2016 08:18 (#5374703 - in reply to #5372802)
Subject: RE: Superstitious Owl's . . . .

central - east central Minnesota -

Red Paint - 6/24/2016 05:53 Funacres Daughter, Neat picture! We have several Barred Owls that live in the wood lot behind our house. Can hear them all the time talking to each other. Gets pretty loud when 3 or 4 start raising a ruckus. Lot of superstitious people "here" would take that owl as a sign of impending bad luck. My grandmother is extremely adamant that having an owl watch you is an omen. It is an old belief from her youth in the mountains of southern Germany. Can't say I blame her for feeling that way. Her husband (my grandfather) was killed in an industrial accident in 1970. The night before, a Barred Owl had landed on their fence and silently watched the house till dawn.

That's interesting . . . . . . never heard that before. I've had a couple instances of Great Horned owls and barn owls sitting in my yard at night. Figured, it was just after a rodent or pigeon ? Can't recall, if something bad happened after the fact ? We've always had owls around - living close to the Mississippi River and lots of wooded lands along the river and old pastors grown up to support such raptors.

They sure look "wise" when perched and scouting the horizon's . . .. . . . . .

I'm not much for superstitions, I'll look forward to seeing more owls and other raptors around . . . .  I'll take my lumps, how ever they come. No way am I going to boil one and eat it either.  lol  

Edit: That's a Cool owl on the combine head ! Very nice coloring, haven't seen any coloring like that one up here in Mn.

Edited by iseedit 6/25/2016 08:19
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)