AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Varmit rifle
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Kitchen TableMessage format

Hillbilly beef man
Posted 6/17/2016 10:32 (#5360470 - in reply to #5360444)
Subject: RE: Varmit rifle

berggrenfarms - 6/17/2016 10:11

As bad as this could sound. A good AR15 with a GOOD 20" or 24" barrel, free float handguard, good trigger and scope would make a great ground hog gun out to 300 yards and a bit beyond. I do it quite often with mine on prarie dogs, and my scope could be better.  I built mine, it takes a few specialized tools to build one but if you can turn wrenches halfway decent you can build an AR, and I find it to be a great stress reliever lol. 

Mines a hodgepodge of parts but its only real limitation is me. Spikes tactical upper and lower, 20" BHW medium profile barrel, rifle length gas system, Rock River trigger, Yankee Hill handguard, and a BCM full auto bolt carrier group. Its a very smooth shooter

An AR would be my first pick if you want dedicated varmint rifle to take out with the intent to spend some time dedicated to varmint hunting. If you are looking for something to just throw behind the seat of the truck and leave there for when you need it I would look at a cheap savage bolt action in .223 or .22-250. Should be able to get one with a decent scope for under $400. If it gets stolen or beat up you are not out much.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)