AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Jd synchro shift quadrant?
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [50 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

JDAmericanFarmer
Posted 5/30/2016 20:35 (#5328891)
Subject: Jd synchro shift quadrant?

Central MN
Have a Jd 5020 with the synchro shift and it's getting hard to find the gears, mainly 3rd and 5th, it's hard to find the gear, you think it's in let the clutch out and it just grinds so you fiddle around till you finally get it in and then every once in a while it will fall out of gear after using it awhile, but not too often. Is this something in the shifter or is this down in the tranny problem? Thanks for any help.
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Rayl
Posted 5/30/2016 20:40 (#5328903 - in reply to #5328891)
Subject: RE: Jd synchro shift quadrant?

Saline County, Mo
I remove the right battery and unhook the shift rods at the transmission and by hand move the the trams arm in a gear. You can feel it detent into a position
Then adjust the arm to fit the hole and the corresponding gear hole on the dash and be in the middle of its slop
Moe Syslak
Posted 5/30/2016 20:44 (#5328913 - in reply to #5328903)

The rapidly vanishing farmland of Boone Co. Ind.
Shift rods/bushings are probably worn out. All available at Deere.
JDAmericanFarmer
Posted 5/30/2016 20:55 (#5328952 - in reply to #5328913)

Central MN
Ok I'll dig into it, just wanted to make sure it was in the shifter quadrant and not something in the tranny. Thanks
crowbar
Posted 5/30/2016 21:01 (#5328972 - in reply to #5328891)
Subject: Dirt?

Hazelton, Kansas
Jeremy,

I'm not saying the others are wrong, but all the "50s" in this area used to require periodic cleaning of a recessed pocket in the top of the transmission. Dust accumulates in the pocket to the point that it interferes with the shift linkage.

Cheap fix, if that's it. Just a little hard to get to.

Regards.

MDS

baler brian
Posted 5/30/2016 21:04 (#5328984 - in reply to #5328891)

It may help to lubricate the pivot points on the dash also.
ccjersey
Posted 5/30/2016 21:44 (#5329126 - in reply to #5328984)

Faunsdale, AL
When they have lots of hours, I think it is the shifter and rods AND parts inside the transmission. Both of the ones here have trouble with 3rd and 5th and the worst one can have trouble with 7th and 8th.

To this point, when you get it settled into the detent, it stays. Just takes some fiddling to find it because there is enough slack and wear that you can go past it in either direction!
marlinpain
Posted 5/30/2016 22:30 (#5329237 - in reply to #5328891)

45 miles south spingfield il.
Just looked at new parts for a 4020 shifter rebuild- about 1k ouch
coastalBend
Posted 5/31/2016 04:32 (#5329377 - in reply to #5328891)

south texas
My 4430 synchro was simular. I did the shifter in cab and adjusted best i could by book. Just lived with it. Clutch went out, split and had an old jd mech adjust clutch before i put it back in. Works alot better now. The 4430 would get stuck in 2 gears at once every now and then, stalling engine when going to park. All is well now for 3 -4 years.
JDAmericanFarmer
Posted 6/1/2016 10:35 (#5331641 - in reply to #5328972)
Subject: RE: Dirt?

Central MN
crowbar - 5/30/2016 21:01

Jeremy,

I'm not saying the others are wrong, but all the "50s" in this area used to require periodic cleaning of a recessed pocket in the top of the transmission. Dust accumulates in the pocket to the point that it interferes with the shift linkage.

Cheap fix, if that's it. Just a little hard to get to.

Regards.

MDS

Ok thanks for the help guys, sorry didn't get back sooner, I'll check them all out, what recessed pocket are you talking about? Just on top of the tranny beneath the platform or where? Again thanks for the help, plan on tearing into it this weekend if I make it home from trucking.
crowbar
Posted 6/1/2016 14:45 (#5331952 - in reply to #5331641)

Hazelton, Kansas
Jeremy,

It's been at least 35 years since I did it, so bear with me.

Follow the shift rods down to the base of the console. There is a shift lever mounted on a shaft coming through the transmission case. But the lever is located in a pocket cast into the top of the tranny case. There's a drain in the pocket, but it gets plugged with chaff, etc.

We used air and a garden hose. IIRC, you can get your hand back in there, but you can't really see what you're doing. I don't remember whether any panels had to be unbolted, but the spring loaded rear engine side covers for sure had to be removed (if they haven't already been lost or run over).

I liked 5020s a lot, but this was not one of their finer design features.

Regards.

MDS

JDAmericanFarmer
Posted 6/2/2016 21:39 (#5334345 - in reply to #5331952)

Central MN
Ok thanks so much I'm pretty sure I know what your talking about. I laughed when I read what you said about the engine panels, I thought me and dad were the only ones who have ran them over, thanks again!
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [50 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)