AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Question for the wives
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Kitchen TableMessage format

Von WC Ohio
Posted 5/29/2016 06:48 (#5326132 - in reply to #5325753)
Subject: RE: Question for the wives

Not a wife and I'm also a single guy so my words may not be that helpful to your situation.

Can NAT be addictive yes but so can any other web site like FB, Twitter and other social media platforms which seem to me to be more mindless minutia instead of based on problem solving and helping like NAT.

I've been online since 1995 and have known some of the people who participate on here for 21 years now. Never met them face to face but feel like I know them very well. Have had a few I've met in person and they have been genuine and easy to talk to as well.

I look at NAT as an excellent source of continuing education. All my family elders who I could rely on for any strange situation or unforeseen problem solving are now all gone. I mean you can post a picture of a broken part or problem and within a short time frame you can have repair & disassembly details, exploded parts view, availability, other sources, and unique insight that you will not find anywhere else.

All of my most influential elders have left this world, Dad will have been gone 16 years in September, Grandpa 29 years in December, ,Dad's Uncle 28 years in October and my Uncle 41 years in August. All of them shaped me and prepared me well but I still miss all their wisdom, perspective, ideas, stories and history lessons.

Those situations still arise and while my own life experiences have expanded enough to deal with those situations without needing to discuss them it is still nice to have a sounding board and people I can trust and turn to for reassurance, ideas, opinions and suggestions.

So you might think why turn to strangers on the internet that I have never met before. Well again for me it boils down to knowing them for 21 years and how their advice has helped me before or how they have been correct about other things.  Life is simply too short to make all the mistakes yourself and learn the hard way on every single thing. Why not listen and learn from others who have been there and learn from their mistakes or situations without having to learn them all from first hand experience.

My Dad used to say: "You never realize how smart you are until you understand  how little you know."

For me being a single guy that very much dislikes crowds and socializing, the Internet and specifically NAT has opened a world of knowledge and sharing up that I would have never experienced any other way. The huge amount of knowledge that is freely given here is simply amazing and over whelming. For every one of those "I've never seen that happen before" moments we have all experienced in our lives I'll bet somebody else here has already been there and done that and got the T shirt.

Yes we may disagree, we may have strong opinions but what better way to test your own theories and opinions than by seeing things approached from many different vantages and viewpoints.

I can't begin to enumerate the $ that I have saved from others advice that was freely given here. I would also like to think that I have been able to help others with timely or useful advice that has been helpful to them also.

I'll close with this little bit of humor I have posted many time before it's meant to be humorous.

Ag Talk should NEVER be referred to as Farmer Facebook that is almost blasphemy !! :-)

It's a multi level, multi dimensional, historical, informative, real world experience, a collective knowledge user interface system  based on thousands of years of experience that is unparalleled and is the premier site on the INTERNET for practical knowledge and solutions no matter what the topic :-

Just having a little fun with your post.

Like the Soul Asylum song Misery :-)

"We'll create the cure
We made the disease"

In the end it's up to both of you to figure out the balance in your lives but I hope you won't discount the value of this site to the farming operation. Get involved here and you will find some of the nicest most helpful people in the world who for the most part are always willing to give freely and offer a helping hand. This is just another way to interact with people much like you do every day in your educators job. 

You might need to install one of these for internet access for both of you if you can't figure out a good balance.

(coinoperated.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments coinoperated.jpg (37KB - 121 downloads)
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)