AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

ReplACEMENT COMPUTER.
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Computer TalkMessage format

Omar
Posted 5/29/2016 14:30 (#5326846 - in reply to #5326284)
Subject: RE: Lenova = Chinese = Superfish

Elmira, Ontario

Don Smith - 5/29/2016 09:04 Here is the (safe) link to that exposure: http://www.cnet.com/news/superfish-torments-lenovo-owners-with-more...

That was over a year ago. The Superfish code never was on the business oriented Thinkpad series such as the T550 mentioned in this thread. It was only on the cheapest consumer series for a few months, till it became understood what that program was doing. I really don't think Lenovo itself knew what that installed program did.

The problem I see is that the cheap consumer laptops aren't possible to build at the prices they sell at. The manufacturers sell access to software suppliers by pre-installing trial software. Lenovo got caught by selling access to a poorly written, and even worse thought out program. They weren't the only company that included software with the underlying code. They just were the one caught out.

I'm running a T450s right now. It's got the nicest keyboard I've ever used, and a great screen. Just a well built, solid laptop. One that would have a decent chance of making it for 10 years. Most of the cheap consumer stuff that is sold for half the price won't make it that long.

The T550 would be similar but has the bigger screen and number pad. Unless you go for the S version, it will also have a dvd player. I wanted a smaller, lighter unit because I'm carrying it everywhere, so decided against the T550. Since I also run a desktop at work with a dvd burner, I didn't need that on the laptop.

Edited by Omar 5/29/2016 14:32
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)