AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Help with a 8.3L Cummins in 8950 Magnum shutting down
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

CIH7777
Posted 5/24/2016 05:01 (#5317362)
Subject: Help with a 8.3L Cummins in 8950 Magnum shutting down

WI
Was out pulling a 24ft field cultivator at 1700rpm and 7mph when the tractor started to loose power a couple times and drop to 900rpm for about 30sec. then went back to 1700rpm. Once it went to 2200rpm. Engine oil pressure light came on very briefly and went off about 3 times also. It started to throw a lot of black smoke and act like it was missing then. This all happened within 1/2 hour. We parked it and shut it down. Coolant was full. Oil was blackish like normal and at full level and did not smell burnt. No coolant in oil or oil in coolant. We changed the oil and filter. Started it up but ran rough and shut down by itself. Engine oil pressure light stayed on now.

Motor has less than 2000 hours on a complete out-of-frame rebuilt in last 2 years. It has run well up to this point and oil was just changed 90 hours ago. Changed every 100 hours since the rebuild previously also. It did have a very small seeping leak on the front engine cover but I was going to have that taken care of after tillage was done. Not a major leak by far and it just needed the updated cover or gasket. It did use some coolant, about 1 gal., every 500 hours.

Any ideas on what went wrong and what to tear apart first? It just seems odd for being a recently rebuilt motor unless the guy rebuilding it was in a hurry or parts were defective. I read some previous posts about maybe the oil pump went bad or the gear could be spinning on the oil pump shaft located behind the front cover. Maybe the oil suction tube broke off otherwise but I think this was more common in trucks.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)