AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

What style hay rake do I want?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

Jim
Posted 5/23/2016 23:07 (#5317230 - in reply to #5317041)
Subject: RE: What style hay rake do I want?

Driftless SW Wisconsin

I do small scale mixed hay also. Wrapped around 44 large round bales of mostly alfalfa and clover yesterday. This is from pastures that will be rotationally grazed but had excess growth early this season. Also builds a bit of hay reserve against a possible dry summer.

Raking it the other day I was again impressed by how well my NH Procart 10 wheel rake picked up 3 windrows from my JD630 9 ft disc moco.  The wheels on this rake are all independently supported and they follow rough ground very well.

Rakes as shown in your picture have two wheels on one rocking arm so if one goes down the other must come up.  IMHO independently supported is better on rough ground especially.  Here's a picture from last week. I usually ted the moco windrows out but since this first cut red clover and later alfalfa grass mixes were going to be wrapped into baleage I just gently raked it to minimize any leaf losses in either crop.

Made some wonderful bales and hopefully feed. This cart does need the optional center wheel or nothing disturbs whatever is in the center. Once I added that and reset the wings it matches 3 moco passes very well.  Here also I'll add a picture of the moco in about the same area of the pasture.

Edited by Jim 5/24/2016 13:13

(IMG017 A beautiful evening to rake hay - rake does a nice job on 3 JD630 windrows 052016.jpg)

(IMG005 Mowing red clover grass mix for hay 051816.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments IMG017 A beautiful evening to rake hay - rake does a nice job on 3 JD630 windrows 052016.jpg (181KB - 119 downloads)
Attachments IMG005 Mowing red clover grass mix for hay 051816.jpg (141KB - 126 downloads)
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)