AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Just a few pictures
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

ruraltrav
Posted 5/24/2016 08:43 (#5317658 - in reply to #5317387)
Subject: RE: Just a few pictures

I hope I'm not coming off the wrong way guys because that is not my intent as I'm in no means saying Tested is a bad bull I'm just not sure he's big enough for our liking. That's just my opinion of him but I realize he's exactly what some guys want too so there isn't a right or wrong side to the discussion. We like that mid 5 frame cow ourselves but we don't want to start dipping into the sub 5 frame cows either which is why his size would concern me if we were to use him. We like to see our yearling bulls somewhere between a 5.0 and 6.0 frame range and weighing near 1200 at yearling and Tested doesn't seem like a bull that would add the size and growth we want. Our average cow weight at weaning last year was 1230 with most of them scoring a 4 or 5 for BCS and our average frame female is probably a mid to upper 5 frame cow with a few that surely are 6 frame too. I just don't think the commercial cattlemen that typically buys our bulls would be interested in sub 5 frame bulls weighing around 1000 at yearling which is what I'm afraid we'd get if we used a bull like Tested with the type of cows we have. We pay attention to calving ease but we also don't want to lose some size and growth by doing that so we try to breed with well balanced genetics that combine both if we can.

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)