AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

I need some advice
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Kitchen TableMessage format

sand85
Posted 5/2/2016 21:17 (#5278865 - in reply to #5277882)
Subject: RE: I need some advice

C IL
1. You need a vacation. You really, really need a vacation. A real vacation, for two weeks. It takes the first week just to unwind.

You will make better decisions when you are rested and can communicate with your spouse, off the farm and away from stress.

Your FIL will have a better idea of what all is going on if you are not there to fill in the gaps and pick up the pieces for a few days.

It is not only for personal reasons. It is a business imperative to maintain your productive capacity through rest, or else your productivity will slowly decline.

[Edit to add: burnout is a real thing. I had too many irons in the fire a couple years ago. I'm 31 and it's taken me two years to get back up to speed. No kid responsibilities, either. Seems like by the time most guys are willing to speak up, burnout is well on its way.]

2. The words 'graceful' and 'gracious' are not words (at least initially) associated with change in a family business. Lots of unspoken assumptions. You can learn a lot about grace in the process, however.

Dr. Jonovic has a really good video series. You are not the only one. You are not the first one. There are answers. It takes a lot of work and family communication.

3. It is easy to fall into the long slow slide of transfer of responsibility without a matching transfer of equity/control to match your possible undercompensation, while preserving control/cash flow for the 'retired'. From the way I see some talk on here about work hours on the family farm, it would be easier to be in a chain gang.

Again, you are not the first, and there are answers.

4. As others have mentioned, it isn't all peaches in the 9-5 world, either.

Take care of yourself and your family. Only you can choose your priorities.

Edited by sand85 5/2/2016 21:25
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)