AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

For you guys posting that tillage promotes infiltration.
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

baier91
Posted 4/30/2016 15:41 (#5273999 - in reply to #5273945)
Subject: RE: For you guys posting that tillage promotes infiltration.

Northeast Nebraska
I have done similar testing using a cornell water infiltrometer. This device was developed by Cornell University and simulates actual rainfall instead of the flood method that was described in the previous post. I have similar data proving that extensive tillage causes poor infiltration, however, it also proves that the infiltration rate is dramatically increased when tested directly over a "strip" of a shank type strip tillage tool. Also this device is utilized to measure the static fully saturated infiltration rate. The test that was previously mentioned doesn't accurately measure infiltration rate as it is constantly changing as more water is applied as can be seen by the second inch taking longer than the first. The Cornell device readings are taken after the infiltration rate has stabilized which is known as a static fully saturated infiltration rate. It works by measuring the amount of and rate of water applied and then measuring the runoff over timed intervals. For full disclosure I was interning at a company called Orthman Manufacturing while collecting this data (they make strip tillage equipment). I can assure you, however, that this data was not altered to the advantage of the company. The data is in the attached powerpoint presentation excerpts. The data from Thrall Texas on the second to last slide does show an advantage to conventional tillage over no-till, but the soils there are 35-40 CEC with super high Mg content and nothing drains until the soil dries out and cracks.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sMUGmX_3EQM

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&ved=...

Edited by baier91 4/30/2016 15:45

Attachments
----------------
Attachments Precision tillage.pptx (2439KB - 616 downloads)
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)