AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Digging Deeper
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

lawfarms
Posted 4/30/2016 15:47 (#5274006 - in reply to #5273756)
Subject: RE: Digging Deeper

King City, Mo
I spread when I can pay afford it and westher cooperates. I've done spring or fall in the past. Potash and AMS got cheaper this spring...

Had the wild hair and the time to pull several samples from the same 1' square to send to several different labs for a 0-6" test. Still compiling and stewing on that data before I post it. Trying to focus on the depth samples right now.

After pulling those samples I was like hmmmm. If Im already sending stuff in why not do some different depths as I haddnt done that before. So I pulled em and sent them to Midwest.

Soil is higher cec when we go deeper. Lower in K and higher in Mg. Where guys haven't applied much K the 1.X%K is common. So we've build up the top now need to build deeper. I want the water to percolate down threw the soil. So when we have a dry spell and the roots push deeper we have water and nutrients to keep packing on bushels to harvest. The Sodium levels down deeper kinda higher and higher pH because of it and mg will be something I'm gonna come back to several times.

The soil tests are just a snapshot in time and I'll get more snapshots from other times to compare. Goal is to learn something and I've already learned something so the test and time was worth it and I feel there's still more to learn from these tests.

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)