AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Lawn crop too thick!!
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

martin
Posted 4/30/2016 12:18 (#5273673 - in reply to #5272569)
Subject: RE: Lawn crop too thick!!

What was in that area before it was planted to grass? 

In my back yard, I have taken sections over time and planted to a small garden.  In my garden, I try to incorporate a lot of leaves from my trees to build up soil O.M. levels.  Once or twice in the past, I have planted these areas back to grass, and moved my garden. When I seed these areas back to grass, the grass always grows better there. At least for the first couple of years. I attribute this to the increased soil O.M.  So, I am wondering if your soil O.M. levels are higher in this area.

I suggest mowing more frequently.  I don't know that I would mow higher.  If you talk with someone who knows something about grazing, they will tell you to graze the grass higher to get quicker regrowth.  The closer to the ground that you graze a pasture, the longer it takes to green up again.  So, I would use that same principle in your lawn - mowing higher will just make the grass grow back faster.  I would more more frequently. Remember, you don't want to clip off more than 1/3 of the plant heighth in one setting.  Based on what you are saying, I suspect you are clipping 1/2 or more. 

BTW, what kind of grass did you plant in this area, do you remember?  (species?)

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)