AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

32% vs urea
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

Dan Loehr
Posted 4/29/2016 16:11 (#5272075)
Subject: 32% vs urea

Holland, Indiana (SW IN)
Just got some prices for 2017 for N can't post prices but they are the cheaper than seen in a long time- as they should be.

To my question price,for liq 32 was about the same as urea per ton - so urea about 10 cents less than liquid per # of N.

We are set up to sidedress both -have only used urea very limited-have a tall wheeled 8 ton spreader (60' spread) and trucks to haul it -no easy way that I can think up now to put on Agrotain- prob could rig a pump setup to spray on when going up auger from truck to spreader. As I understand urea should be side dressed when corn is 12" tall range to give some shade so don't volatize as much.

FWIW we are well setup to side dress 32% and have a high clearance units to use if corn gets too tall. -always need a backup plan it seems- haven't had to use the high clearance units in 30 + years of side dress N.

The way we do things may help w advice,mostly rotational corn, use 9-23-30 spread on in fall or winter about 300# per ac- so 27 # N there, probably have half of it left say 15#, by spring (no not enough time or good weather in SW Indiana to spread spring), put 30# N with planter (2X2) So I'm guessing by side dress time, with 40# figured from beans year before- 80 lbs. available.

I know some one will say this is too much but on our low OM soils in SW Indiana apply side dress 160+ yes I've did tests need it to get 200 bu. + (some years)

#1 do we need loss inhibitor (Agrotain) with urea? My guess yes, unless timely rain. How expensive is Agrotain?

# 2 for savings of $16 per acre will it be worth it?

#3 Will we give up yield using urea side dress, vs our current 32% injected?

Don't want to bend over to pick up a dime and have a quarter fall out of my pocket- answers or comments appreciated- too wet to plant HERE so working on a semi and planning for next year.

FWIW 1/3 done w beans 1/5 done w corn planting

Dan
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)