AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

router 101..............
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Computer TalkMessage format

golfnut
Posted 4/26/2016 07:24 (#5263862 - in reply to #5263697)
Subject: RE: router 101..............

Central Nebraska

I'm going to be in the camp that says your over concerned.  The industry uses the term "router" when they should often use the terms "firewall and router".  The device you purchased, when configured correctly (and most consumer devices are out of the box) is designed to provide Network Address Translation and also prevent devices from the internet (WAN) side of the router from accessing devices on the inside (LAN) of the network.  Many devices are designed to be left on all the time so that they can download security updates and install them, hopefully when you are not using the machine.

Now, I guess that one could say that you are more vulnerable to outside attacks by leaving your computer on 24/7 but if you are running a hardware based firewall/router and also have one running on your PC (Microsoft Firewall) you are really protected very well.  I have numerous devices on my network (last I checked it was over 60) including computers, music devices, wireless radios, cameras, etc.  Obviously I don't turn stuff off.  Only once in the past 5 years can I say that I've had suspicious activity on my network and that was traced back to a suspect website that my wife visited.  The point being that it is sometimes easier to protect yourself form outside threats than inside threats. 

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)