AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Fluffy pancakes
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Kitchen TableMessage format

billw
Posted 4/18/2016 17:13 (#5250181 - in reply to #5250027)
Subject: RE: Fluffy pancakes

E. Kansas
+1, especially on too much mixing making them flatter/tougher

Whether using pancake mix or making from scratch, I think pancakes are always better if they are fried immediately after the batter has been mixed. Have your skillet ready before mixing, not too hot and not too cool. My mom always used 2 skillets, and sometimes 3, at the same time so the batter didn't set very long. Cast iron skillets, of course...but other kind of skillets should work just as well. She always made pancakes from scratch and they were delicious.

The baking powder causes the batter to rise, whether it's in the bowl or the skillet. The pancakes will be tougher if the rising batter is stirred, so get it in the skillet ASAP so most of the rising will be taking place while cooking, instead of in the bowl. The rising action of the baking power doesn't last too long. It's a similar idea when you make biscuits, and they need to be in the oven ASAP, so they'll rise nicely.

I think it's best to only mix enough batter so all of it can be in the skillet within a few minutes, and continue to mix new batter as needed, instead of mixing a big amount of batter and having a lot of it setting before frying.

Just my observations and opinions, and only worth what you paid for them. Your pancakes may vary. In case you can't tell, I love pancakes and biscuits.

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)