AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

A few combine parts, ideas, and mods I tryed this year. (pics)
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

Old Pokey
Posted 8/20/2008 23:43 (#439631)
Subject: A few combine parts, ideas, and mods I tryed this year. (pics)

Hi all. I hope this is'nt taking away too much from the forum. I wanted to share a few things I did with the combine this year. It's more for fun and general info if there's anything here someone can use. I enjoy finding pictures of machines that have been taken apart so I can see a different view of the machines insides. I figured if I enjoy that, maybe someone else does to. The machine worked very will with this years setup. I was pleased with the capacity and samples. The extra transport vanes worked very well with the helical theme. I think the greatest benefit though was the smallest idea. The full rack of long wire fingers on the grain pan with the hoses clamped to them, made the chaffer work extra well. I came up with that idea from doing quick kills over the years. The grass material entering the chaffer was allways a tangled mess, so I figured if I can somehow "sift" the seed and smalls through and keep the straw elevated for just a bit longer, maybe I can leave the front of the chaffer open a littlemore. It worked. I have a few pics of the quick kills too if anyone is interested.

I posted a thread some time back about the cage needing replaced. Here's that link with pictures. http://talk.newagtalk.com/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=56678&mid=3983...

Here's some pics either for you to use for whatever reason, or to laugh at at your will. Thanks for looking.

Right side cage half with most of the second set of transport vanes installed. I just put them in about the neutral position and still run the left side vanes adjustable.

Both cage halves installed.

Transition cone with new vanes installed and the final couple of added vanes on the right side installed.

With the new set of Loewen helical concaves sitting in. Things are starting to take shape.

A closer view of the helicals and their concept.

This one is just to give some perspective of my idea to put the extra set of vanes in. The helicals do retard the material very well. My idea was then to transport the material further rearward between runs across the concaves. Seems to have worked and the little tougher stuff I did, seemed to flow rearward better than without the extra vanes.

Ok, try to excuse the poor picture taking here. I had to blindly hold the camera and lower it in to the cavity at the rear of the rotor. The top plate was off the doghouse to install the rotor, that is where I took this view from. It kinda shows the relation of the rotor to the extra vanes at the top. The rotor rotates clockwise from the back where thispic was taken.

Again, I apologize for the quality of the pic. This one is at the bottom viewed from the rear of the concaves looking forward to get an idea of the helicals and rasp bar orientation.

My custom made helical grates I had made. There was also a thread about them a while back.
http://talk.newagtalk.com/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=58962&mid=4144...

Comparing the grate to a Gorden helical concave.

All three installed.

A complete helical theme.

Even though the kidney was fine and all, I wanted to add the factory anti-wind thingy to give a try and see what I thought. It comes with a slight twist to it and because I use the sharpened and close set knives in place of the standard wear blade, I needed that twist taken out. That is why the paint is burned off.

A view from the bottom of the kidney. The knives are set close to insure no straw gets smashed between the knife and the kidney surface which will draw horsepower and can allow the straw to wrap. The anti-wind from cih is suposed to help the wrapping issue, of "winding" issue. I never have had any wrapping or winding issues with the knives set close and sharpened, but I thought the idea of that extra outward push may help transport things just that much better so I installed it. It did'nt give me any trouble, but I cant swear it gave me any benefit either so........

Here is one view of the full length fingers on the grain pan with one set of hoses clamped on every other finger.

Another view of same.

And this one with all the hoses installed. I ran out of the old air hose I was using for the first set so I had to get some new hose and the spray hose was the cheapest I could get easily.

Ok, to go along with the fingers and wanting to use the air-jet again in grass to see if i could make it work, I taped off the first two screen sections. I left the jet open, but the screen is now blocked to get the seed/grain further back before falling through. This is to help keep seed/grain from getting into the fan, and get it into the air flow better before it starts to fall through.

Here I stood the air-jet screen up against a stock slat chaffer to give an idea of the extra leaning area I should get since the front of the slat chaffer is usually ran allmost closed off.

Chaffer installed and a picture to show its relation to the fingers and lower shoe.

Again, thanks for looking.

Edited by Old Pokey 2/28/2009 16:45
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)