AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Pod-stik for Canola
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [50 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

SCMB
Posted 8/14/2008 19:10 (#435288)
Subject: Pod-stik for Canola

Anyone ever tried this stuff Pod-Stik a company up here in Canada is promoting it as a spray for canola to reduce shattering of the pods. It is supposed to improve straight cutting. We would like to try and straight cut some canola and are wondering if anyone has experience with this product.

Thanks,
Top of the page Bottom of the page
willvr
Posted 8/14/2008 19:52 (#435315 - in reply to #435288)
Subject: Re: Pod-stik for Canola

Bow Island, Alberta
I have some Pod Ceal sitting at a dealer. Will be trying some in a few weeks, likely mixed with Reglone.
sakeller
Posted 8/15/2008 00:54 (#435612 - in reply to #435288)
Subject: Re: Pod-stik for Canola

Camrose, Alberta
I posted about this Pod Ceal a while back after reading about it in the Western Producer, here's the link.

As one post said, in the U.S. the product is called Spodnam.

http://talk.newagtalk.com/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=56848&posts=7&...

Edited by sakeller 8/15/2008 00:56
Beltbreaker
Posted 8/15/2008 08:41 (#435732 - in reply to #435288)
Subject: RE: Pod-stik for Canola

Tain, Scotland
Just finished my Winter Canola yesterday. Sprayed half with Roundup and half with podstick and roundup. I probably didn't get the best out of the pod stik as the stems were barely dead but the forecast said 6 days of rain. What I can say is that the podstik sprayed crop was slightly harder to feed into the combine. As I say I didn't give it a proper trial and I will see in 10 days the effect it had had

Cheers BB
BigNorsk
Posted 8/15/2008 10:34 (#435833 - in reply to #435288)

Rolla, ND
So far it's been here try this, then it doesn't really make any appreciable difference, then they seem to do some tweeking and then it come back again with a here try this.

I haven't seen it make enough difference so you can tell.

If the field is good and pretty well down in a mat. It seems to work just fine to straight it with or without the spray.

If the field is poor and the plants move, it again doesn't hold enough to make a differnce that I've seen.

It make me wonder when the basic claim is it keeps the pod moist but let's the seed dry down. They seem to claim a barrier which if that's the case, that doesn't make sense.

Sometimes I wonder if it's more like glycerin works in a cookie to keep it soft and moist.

Anyway, I've actually wondered about spraying the swaths. We could do that with not much product, and unless your swaths are different than ours, there is often some shelling on the exposed plants. Haven't done it.

Marv
JohnW
Posted 8/16/2008 13:03 (#436551 - in reply to #435288)

NW Washington
Here is results of some tests using Spodnam on canola, which is another product that is supposed to reduce pod shatter, that was done N. Dakota. Results are not very promising on a quick read.

http://www.ag.ndsu.nodak.edu/carringt/agronomy/Research/ProdMgmt/05...
popster
Posted 8/16/2008 16:48 (#436616 - in reply to #436551)

It appears that Pod StiK is not the same as POD CEAL or SPODNAM. Looking at the labels and MSDS sheets there are quite a few differences as to active ingredient . The water rates also seem to be different. It might be worth checking out the history of this pod-stik product which claims that it is a latex, which might just be paint.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [50 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)