AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

A longterm positive outlook.
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Market TalkMessage format

Posted 2/10/2016 21:53 (#5102933)
Subject: A longterm positive outlook.

Death comes to us all. Life's but a walking shadow
The past few weeks there seems to have been a pervasive atmosphere of discouragment with prices and prospects. Some of this comes from the realization that given the very substantial increases in yield potential we are probably going to be able to over supply grain markets in the foreseeable, weather permitting. Given the low price and abundant supply of crude oil the further expansion of renewable fuels will be slow and politically problematic.
That said I would like to point out to producers the following thoughts. Anyone who has studied chemistry, particularly plant biochemistry and plant physiology understands how remarkable plants are. Plants capture the energy of sunlight and synthesis complex organic compounds from such simple compounds as water and carbon dioxide. Furthermore, they continually reproduce the machinery in the form of seeds and new plants. Everytime I pause to think about all the incredible biology and biochemistry involved that happens spontaneously and practically unguided I'm amazed.
Anyhow, I've long thought that using corn starch to make ethanol fuel was just one step to harnessing plants to make the products a modern sustainable society needs. While plastics & other materials are being made from plant materials I thought we'd be further along by now. I thought we'd be making more high value chemicals and medicines by now. But I still have hope.
So I just want to take a moment to remind you all that hopefully in the not too distant future we will be growing crops to produce a wide array of materials and products on our farms. And when that day comes we won't need to worry so much about overproduction and stagnated prices.
For what it's worth.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)