AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Is it to late to buy gold?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Market TalkMessage format

John Burns
Posted 2/10/2016 07:35 (#5100786 - in reply to #5100769)
Subject: as a mater of fact...............

Pittsburg, Kansas
I have a real life story.

When my wife was young she had a pair of bachelor great uncles that were very fond or her and she of them. As a young woman she had some tough times. They gave here a sock full of US Silver Dollars they had stashed away. These two old guys (of which I only had the privilege of meeting one - the other died while we were dating) lived with one light in the kitchen, heated and cooked with wood and had no indoor plumbing with an outhouse. This was all by choice, not because they lacked the money. But back to the story. They gave her this old sock full of US Silver Dollars, with the instruction that it was "rainy day" money, only to be used if she got in dire straits.

Even though she went through some tough times, she never "spent" the silver dollars. We still have them to this day. Had they given her US paper dollars she might have twenty or thirty dollars today. The Silver Eagles are worth significantly more than 30 dollars today.

Which only goes to show, the metal held its value, the paper did not.

I believe the same will continue to happen, only some day at a significantly swifter pace. That is why I have a little "rainy day" metal. Not the currency to use in every day transactions. But in case I (or the nations finances) get in dire straits.

Hopefully, like my wife never needed to use here rainy day money, I also will not need to. Everyone has to choose their own level of comfort or "insurance". I certainly would never try to convince someone else they should do as I do.

John

Edited by John Burns 2/10/2016 07:45
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)