AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Ag Leader clutches, 16 row planter in 12 sections
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Precision TalkMessage format

tedbear
Posted 2/8/2016 05:06 (#5095737 - in reply to #5095637)
Subject: RE: Ag Leader clutches, 16 row planter in 12 sections

Near Intersection of I-35 & I-90 Southern Mn.
I see no problem with your logic. I see no problem with the programming of your proposal. The difficulty as I see it lies with the cable branch lengths so that the frame cable will nicely fit a variety of planters.

I'm sure Ag Leader thought through the various possible combinations before deciding which frame cables to offer. They needed to strike a balance between offering them all (don't know how many that would be) and not offering enough.

As you have stated, with air clutches the installer in essence creates their own harness as they run the lines.

When I had a 12 row with air clutches, I ran into a somewhat similar question. I could have gone with 4-3 row sections, 6-2 row sections, 12-1 row sections or various other choices. Since each air box can handle 4 sections, 1, 2 or 3 air boxes could be used. Extra air boxes involved more cost. Some combinations didn't utilize all the air box potential. I went with the 4-3 arrangement so as to need only one air box.

I'm no longer in the biz but I don't see a huge demand for your cable. If the customer is really hung up on small sections, I would just tell them to get high end GPS and the second CCM with the associated wiring.

A friend of mine in the grain handling business used say "We don't give our customers all the choices, it only tends to confuse them"

Another slight problem might be replacement in the case of a major breakdown. Since your cable would be non-standard Ag Leader wouldn't be able to supply a replacement or wiring diagrams for repair. I ran into this when I used to make some special cables for long distance customers

Best regards.

Edited by tedbear 2/8/2016 05:14
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)