AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Abandoned calf part 3
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

denice.r
Posted 2/7/2016 14:21 (#5094423 - in reply to #5093993)
Subject: RE: Abandoned calf part 3

south east Indiana
Remember this is a twin so smaller I assume, I would rather give him the option to suck three times a day than force him to eat twice. If he is drinking some well I would not tube.

Milk/Milk replacer/ colostrum replacer work because they basically curdle in the calf's stomach then these chunks take some time to pass thru the intestines allow nutrients to be absorbed. The difference between us having a glass of milk and steak, milk passes out of stomach quickly, solids not so much.

When you dink around with adding things to replacer it can screw up the ability of it to form these clumps so it then passes thru faster than it should thus the calf does not the nutrition it needs. Same things if you do not follow label mixing directions or give more liquid right after milk. Therefore you do not want to add anything or give other products right after milk. Best to separate by several hours unless specifically labeled to add to milk. B vit can increase appetite also.

There are specific products like Nutridrench that are made to five by mouth and provide some extra nutrition quickly.

All milk replacers are not equal, the cheaper ones are usually not as good, have to read the labels. I like Hubbard and Land o Lakes, merrick/ Dumour is ok but like the other better- do not like Kent or ADM. Others seem to not have a problem so some personal preference.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)