AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

A few calves (pics)
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

Jim
Posted 2/6/2016 23:49 (#5093480 - in reply to #5093112)
Subject: RE: A few calves (pics)

Driftless SW Wisconsin

Thanks for the kind words everyone.

I agree with IL cow man - snow and temps in the 20s are much better than mud.  I like this weather we are having. Cows seem to like it also - as long as wind isn't too bad. This is what winter in Wisconsin is. Neighboring town of Westby had their annual sky jump competition today.

Fat cows - I don't think of my cows as fat. Many if not most are still nursing big calves. They are on hay only and have been. The silage wagon in the background is just sitting there, hasn't been used since last summer when a neighbor and I used up an open bag from fall 2014.

My cows seem to be able to keep condition on grazing and my mixed hay along with Mineralyx.  The cows are pretty woolly this time of year so they may look fatter than they are. I'm guessing a BCS 6 - 6.5 which is where I want them to be.   656 I haven't had any calving problems since I moved calving back to May in 2014. Even before that I lost a couple calves due to calving overnight on ice in a March blizzard in 2013 but that was my fault not the cows fault. They died of hypothermia...and that was when I decided to follow Ben's advice and move calving start back to May 1.

I typically stop feeding hay and start rotational grazing the first week in May. With a combination of calving on grass in May and good calving ease bulls there have not been and should not be any calving problems. Cow condition is not a problem. In fact I think keeping condition on a cow all winter is a help to calving a healthy, live calf that gets up and sucks. The only thing I want to do at calving time is to count them!

Dave, It seems amazing that you are able to get around, even if with a cane, just 15 days after having a hip rep[laced!  At this rate you'll be back on that bike, and polishing equipment, in no time...hope things continue to go well for your recovery.

Edited by Jim 2/6/2016 23:53
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)