AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

SMS tile plan depth map?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Precision TalkMessage format

Mountain Mechanic
Posted 2/6/2016 16:09 (#5092630 - in reply to #5091205)
Subject: RE: SMS tile plan depth map?

A good tool for this is Google Earth, I believe you have to use the downloadable version. If you pick out a potential trouble area and zoom in just far enough so you can see the whole run, draw a line with the drawing tools. Right click on the line and select properties. It will actually will show you an elevation profile much like a tile map. Base on your optimal pipe depth you can see potential problem areas. Obviously not an exact science but it is helpful. I had a spot a few years ago that by eye I would have sworn we were going to have to move dirt to get down but according to Google Earth it should work. I went out with the plow and surveyed it to be sure, and I'll be darned if I didn't pull through it with a little to spare. I actually started using it for my initial tile layout, keeping in mind I wasn't pattern tiling, mostly running up draws and connecting wet spots. The other nice feature of Google Earth is you can go back to old imagery, picking out wetter years, to see how wide some of the wet spots can get in wetter years.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)