AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Labor Required to swap Engine?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

4WD
Posted 2/5/2016 21:00 (#5091068 - in reply to #5090968)
Subject: RE: Labor Required to swap Engine?

Between Omaha and Des Moines, 7 miles South of I80

Ndunn - 2/5/2016 20:13 The truck is from '99. The guy selling it told me the truck has about 1 million miles on it. I would not be doing the work myself, I did that on a backhoe and it caused me no end of trouble. I'm hoping to have the Pete dealer do it.

The engine is already out.

I can tow it myself so that isn't an issue for me. I know there are several Cummins N14 w/ 500k miles for $8k near me, I think that's reasonable for a used engine.

That's actually a disadvantage, I bet there are a lot of "missing parts", already.

I agree, with the other poster, about going from a 40 hour job, to a 90 hour job, about a quick as you can snap your fingers.

It is a whole different situation, if you could do it all yourself, and take your time, when you come across some hurdles and missing pieces, BUT when you start paying others to do the work, the dollars/hours really add up fast.

Plus, All the little items come up = new radiator hoses, new heater hoses, new clutch, new tranny input shaft and clutch fork and bushings, machine flywheel, new pilot bearing; new engine mounts and bolts; new Air-to-air hoses(maybe); test air-to-air charge cooler and it leaks???, new air filter/s; exhaust flange is broken where it mates up to turbo; Reprogram ECM to match this truck; new oil; new antifreeze; new filters (oil, fuel); new fan belts, test and charge A/C system and its repairs; Dead batteries ???, etc. , etc., etc.   

Does your "used engine" need new rod and main bearings installed? (Edit: or new rear main crankshaft seal, as other poster mentioned)

Edited by 4WD 2/5/2016 21:10
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)