AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Hobbies for old farmers?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Kitchen TableMessage format

School Of Hard Knock
Posted 2/4/2016 23:45 (#5089319 - in reply to #5087793)
Subject: RE: Hobbies for old farmers?

just a tish NE of central ND
Interesting. I feel for you.
When I was a kid, my grandparents did a lot of gardening and fishing and some hobby wood working .etc. They could grow most anything from trees to garden produce and flowers of many kinds and won local awards many times for the efforts..They did travel close to the area as long as health let them do so. Granddad had a fishing boat. Grandparents taught me more things about plants that my own dad did I think.

When my dad got to that age he only knew work, but slowly didn't want to do that much any more. HE WAS VERY MECHANICAL MINDED.....But he didn't care to do any of that any more either even though he was in very good health. He could build buildings and remodel stuff and built any of the few simple buildings on the farm.but didn't want to do woodworking...(no patience).He didn't care for hunting or fishing either. He never hunted or fished in his life other than shooting gophers when we were very young....Then even going to the coffee shop faded. He struggled to keep himself entertained and wanted to be entertained by us kids.
I Never could figure it out. Grandparents loved farm stuff and garden/ woodwork and dozens of other interests..... , yet it didn't rub off on my dad, he was only interested in the farm and mechanical stuff in his younger years The sight of garden and flowers / plants / fishing and woodwork meant nothing to him.
Why does that happen.?
As I age I want to travel more and if I EVER GET around to doing the many project things I want to do and learn/ collect and experience, I will live for ever because there is no way I can ever finish them all in this lifetime.(:
Its funny, I can have more fun with a 12 gauge and a turning lathe, some house plants and books than my dad ever did. Some time I will get around to fishing and more hunting and trapping again...Probably volunteer for something to help out youth and church more too as well as grow and spread faith in Christ.. LOL.. Hope I live long enough to tell about it all too.!
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)