AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Hobbies for old farmers?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Kitchen TableMessage format

steincowboy
Posted 2/4/2016 12:20 (#5087793)
Subject: Hobbies for old farmers?

God's Country (N.C. Ia)
Hello all, I hope this is the right forum for my question.

I'll try to keep this short:)

My Dad is 73 years old and has been retired from his town job for I guess four or five years now. He continues to crop farm some ground which my brother and I more or less custom farm for him. He does his own tillage and we do the rest. He and my mother still live on the farm where I grew up. Dad still has a lot of energy and is in pretty good health except for a bit of arthritis in his hands.
To cut more to the chase, he struggles with boredom as there really isn't a whole lot for him to do around the farm, and he doesn't have any real hobbies besides farming. I guess I just wonder if anyone has any suggestions for a hobby or pastime that men like him might find interesting without spending a lot of money or driving all over the place to do?

Eventually, (hopefully in the next year or two) my wife and I plan on buying his place and it would be nice if he was a little more ready to move on from his farming career, so I think it would be really neat if he found a new passion that would make the transition easier.

Anyone have experience with a similar situation? I guess I never thought it would be this hard for him to make a change, but now that we're kind of getting closer to making a transition, I'm really having a hard time just talking about it with him. It's funny how you think there's a plan, but then it seems like all of a sudden he doesn't want to stick with the plan, and just wants things to remain as they are......

Sorry if I'm kind of vaguely rambling on. It's just been one of those days I guess. tia
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)