AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

aging in a rural area
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Kitchen TableMessage format

Suey
Posted 1/27/2016 08:59 (#5067420 - in reply to #5066966)
Subject: RE: aging in a rural area

WCIL

I just read it and I have to ask.   What are you doing about it?   Do you belong to the church?   Our church isn't open all the time  we have a part time minister.   Anyone who wants, has a key to the church.   Are there people that want the church open at certain time each day,  get the key and take charge.    Or are you wanting the church to plan, have everything set up and advertise they are open.    Are you asking them to provide a place a certain place on certain days... open,  coffee made.. snacks..  and a planned activity.... just in case a couple of people  might show up?     If you belong step up and do it.     Your mom sounds like a very healthy and capable person.    We have 80 years olds planning and organizing activities in our church.    The 60 year olds are the doers right now.     Your community sounds big enough for activities to be provided.    I live out here in the country... I'd like to go on day trips,  try some other activities.... but I can't... I'm still taking care of pigs.   

Go to the Grade school and volunteer to read or be read to.   Volunteer to show up on Grandparent's day to be a grandma to some kid whose gp can't or won't show up.   (yes,  you are going to have to background checked  but it is the law now days),  try the private schools  too.    Help at one of the afterschool programs for the kids.   We are begging for adults to show up just to be an extra set of eyes in the room.    Eat supper with the kids at the program.    I could keep busy all day long doing with and for others  if not for this farm job.   I would never expect someone else to  "plan  my fun".    Your day, life is what you want and make out to be.    Sorry,  but quit feeling sorry for yourselves.   Time to pull on your big girl panties and deal with it. 

You say there is a Sr. citizens center but there is nothing.   Well,  maybe they found no one coming and decided there wasn't a need.   Sometimes  it only takes a spark to get a fire going...  tell mom to find when it is open,   show up and find out the rest of story.    Why aren't seniors coming?   The programs,  the directors,  the activities,  lack of transportation,  lack of food,  lack of funding?    I'll be busy till I can't drive myself  there.    When that happens I'll move to assisted living,  retirement village and take advantage of those activities.   Hey,  those places are now there  and maybe that is why the  local sr. citizen's center is now dead.   My MIL lives at  Assisted Living.  They say all activities are open to all seniors in the community. 

I know I'm not real sympathetic to your concerns  but I think there are answers out there in your community.  Just not the ones that were there 20 years ago.  Good Luck in your endeavors  and let us know what you and mom find out.   I'll be thinking of more possibilities for you.    

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)