AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

How much are you saving on chemicals etc?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

AGB
Posted 1/3/2016 06:08 (#5006806)
Subject: How much are you saving on chemicals etc?

Mid-Michigan
I've pretty much always done most of my business for chemicals, spray products etc. From our local Cps. My salesman is very good to me and service is great. I think I'm getting hit in the wallet pretty good for service however. I just googled "farm chemicals" and found several. I also see that "illweedman" sells also. Can I save much on stuff like Roundup, Hale, Choice (water conditioning agent), LI 700, Prosaro when shipping is also included? For those of you buying this way, how much are you saving and who is your favorite supplier? I'm not a big farmer so this is small so I probably can't get the deals some of you do because my volume isn't that much (1000 acres). Thanks for your time.

Edited by AGB 1/3/2016 06:09
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Tiler
Posted 1/3/2016 06:43 (#5006826 - in reply to #5006806)
Subject: RE: How much are you saving on chemicals etc?

SCIA
Dug up some bids from last year;
Lumax 51.57 high 39.99 low
Cobra 213.00 high 165 low Not all products had this big of spread, but I was amazed. Service was good from all involved. prices were delivered to the farm.

We are not big farmers, 2000 acres, split 50/50 corn beans. We put out a bid sheet to 5 places last spring. Took the lowest price on each product, bought some thing at each place. And was up front with each place, there were 4 others bidding on our business.
btowner
Posted 1/3/2016 07:15 (#5006873 - in reply to #5006826)

western mn
Comparing with local coop prices, power max and Callisto not much savings compared to independent however authority first was 19% cheaper generic sonic 40% cheaper. The need to price check will pay off!
garvo
Posted 1/3/2016 07:09 (#5006861 - in reply to #5006806)

western iowa,by Denison
if you have good service and a great salesman who answers your questions-well kinda like you have to put some value there=you might save $10,000 but make a $20,000 mistake
cbellfarms
Posted 1/3/2016 07:35 (#5006904 - in reply to #5006861)

NW IL, Mercer County
+1. With all these tank mixes coming back, different combos may/may not work together, and different combos require different adjuvants for best results. I dont feel comfortable buying my chemicas without advice and service.
swne
Posted 1/3/2016 09:26 (#5007123 - in reply to #5006861)

Cambridge, southwestern Nebraska
Agree. Also, my coop supplier writes up the blend sheets for me and blends exactly what I need for my acres and I have EPA records already done. I may pay a little more for the service but it makes it more timely for me. there are always tradeoffs. I don't mind some extra free time to spend with family that buying inputs this way does for me.
E718
Posted 1/3/2016 10:07 (#5007233 - in reply to #5006861)

Sac & Story county IA
Or write a check in December and nothing be there in June.
roush9799
Posted 1/3/2016 07:10 (#5006864 - in reply to #5006806)

West Central IL
We have a local guy that deals with a lot of generic chemicals. The past few years we were buying generics thru the local coop and having them tank mix it for us and we'd pick it up mixed in our tank. I think we're going to have to go back to the generics guy and mix it on farm this year to save some coin. The coop uses some generics, but this guy is usually cheaper on his, only downfall it takes the sprayer man longer to spray if he has to mix in field but you have to do what you gotta do with high inputs and cheap grain.
briggsfm
Posted 1/3/2016 07:28 (#5006889 - in reply to #5006806)

Scottville, 49454 Northwest Michigan

I'm experiencing the same price differences as Tiler.  Some actually with a bigger difference.  I had one herbicide that the local supplier was over 100 percent higher than my lowest bid elsewhere.  Crazy.  

We do like Tiler suggested.  We do our best to come up with the pesticides we're going to use for the year, in the quantities we're going to use.... and then give three or more suppliers the opportunity to bid on those pesticides.  I'm sure we're saving in the neighborhood of 25 to 30 percent by doing this.  

But I have to admit.... we are letting go of some service when we do this.  If I gave one supplier all of our business, we probably would get some free scouting and recommendations from their scouting results.  So we have to weigh this service against the lower costs of the pesticides.   

Personally, I think we're better off doing our own scouting.  The key being... "doing" the scouting.   I can't say we're better off doing the scouting if I don't have adequate time to do the scouting.  Obviously.  

If I'm utilizing "free" scouting from my supplier, I'm always going to have the question in the back of my mind of whether his or her recommendation has a bit of biased interest in selling me products that I might not truly need.  They may or may not be, but I'm always going to wonder.  Frankly, because of this concern, if I didn't have the time to do my own scouting..... I would rather hire and pay a crop consultant to do the work for me.  Especially if said consultant had a lot of knowledge and experience working with the crops I grow.

gordon 

Jay NE Ohio
Posted 1/3/2016 07:55 (#5006926 - in reply to #5006806)

northeastern Ohio
Here is the range of prices from last year:

Envive-$3.95/oz to $5.07/oz
Clethodim-$45.13/gal to $47/gal
Fomesafen-$36.58/gal to $43/gal
Liberty-$71/gal to $82.00/ gal
Lexar EZ-$35.45/gal to $49.50/gal

Some were cheaper online and some were cheaper locally.

Prices were closer this year, but still a significant amount of money:
Lexar EZ- $35 to $36
Liberty- $48.50 to $52
2,4D lv6 $18.50 to $20
generic glyphosate- $8.50 to $10
crop oil- $8.50 to $10

CPAFarmer
Posted 1/4/2016 12:12 (#5010135 - in reply to #5006926)

NE Ohio
Jay,

Were your 2016 prices from a local retailer or online? I'm located not far from you and I was quoted about $80 for Liberty from my local retailer. Also your lexar pricing is lower than what I've been quoted. Never have order chemicals online before, but this might be the year if there is that much of a price difference.

17821x
Posted 1/3/2016 08:10 (#5006952 - in reply to #5006806)

NE Iowa
You are going to save 25%-35% at least. One of the best things you can do is add up everything you will need for the year and buy it at once. I like dealing with Reichman Sales in Toluca Illinois. I've been buying there for about 8 years. Best prices I've found anywhere, good selection of namebrand / generic chemicals, no chemical company biases, cheap shipping, and just overall nice people to do business with. They answer any questions I have by email or phone and make recommendations. They do this and give me good prices even though I am smaller then you are AGB. If you know what chemicals you want, create an account, add the stuff to quote, submit it, and you will have a quote emailed to you in 24 hours or less. If you are debating on some chemicals give them a call and they will help you decide. They are not "full service" but are not "no service" either. All sales are final so they don't take returns. If you run short most times they can ship you out more the next day. Also, if you are the type to always have chemical reps out trying to get money for resprays then stay with someone local and pay extra $$$ for that option. My philosophy has always been that if the chemical doesn't work it was probably application, weather, or resistant weeds fault and probably not the chemicals fault.

https://www.reichmansales.com/

Posted 1/3/2016 09:12 (#5007086 - in reply to #5006806)

Depends on what you have been doing and what you wanna do

some instances you can save half or more

Most retailers have a cash n carry program. They will help you out a bit on recipes but no resprays. They are usually not the absolute cheapest but not bad if you wanna stay local and have a hand to mouth inventory.

the bean program I use is a $70/acre plus program thru a retailers rig. I get it done for under $28/acre.

So that's an example of an extreme.
ahay68979
Posted 1/3/2016 09:21 (#5007110 - in reply to #5007086)

Saronville NE
I need to price around a little more but halex I got range of $36-71, that's huge.
AGB
Posted 1/3/2016 09:45 (#5007171 - in reply to #5007110)

Mid-Michigan
I do all my own spreading and spraying. I pick up my own chemicals and fertilizer. As I said, I've been treated very well by Cps. I don't mind paying for the convenience and help. I just don't want to get raped. I haven't gotten prices yet from either source (Cps vs. Online guys). In the past I know I've paid too much for stuff like surfactants and manganese (I have to cover our muck sometimes 3 times). I haven't had any chemical failure in a long time, but last year I used flex star gt and had all kinds of lambs qtr. Escape. Cps paid for the touchdown to go back. I thought it was nice of them to do so. So, there are perks, just don't know what they are costing me.
adsfarm
Posted 1/3/2016 10:40 (#5007301 - in reply to #5007171)

NE Iowa

I don't think CPS "gave" you the Touchdown, I believe Flexstar GT has a respray policy for a gly pass.

AGB
Posted 1/3/2016 10:46 (#5007316 - in reply to #5007301)

Mid-Michigan
adsfarm - 1/3/2016 10:40

I don't think CPS "gave" you the Touchdown, I believe Flexstar GT has a respray policy for a gly pass.

"Giving" may have been a poor choice of words. That's sort of what I'm trying to figure out. How much is this "giving" costing me.
MOE
Posted 1/3/2016 13:02 (#5007588 - in reply to #5007316)

Mankato Minnesota

Having your own spraying,and buying chemicals from whomever you want will save you the most money.
cornstalk
Posted 1/4/2016 12:19 (#5010148 - in reply to #5007110)

Anderson County Kansas
I had a range from 36 to 55 on Halex GT. There was also a wide range on Fierce, from 83 to 105.
tw35
Posted 1/3/2016 14:02 (#5007722 - in reply to #5006806)

Clarke county, IA
There are plenty of wholesale places where you can buy chemicals significantly cheaper. All the places I've dealt with have been very good with answering any questions I have and getting stuff to me quickly in season. Only time I buy chemicals at the coop now is if I HAVE to have it today.
Keith Mudd
Posted 1/3/2016 21:48 (#5009165 - in reply to #5006806)

Monroe City, MO

Biggest thing here is the local Coop only wants to use name brand products. Can't live without that hold back money on the back end you know. I've been spraying and using generics for years and I'm convinced I save 50% over what they would charge. I had one farm for a long time they did spray because that is what the owner wanted. I saw this type of savings regularly.

Last year I bought Bicep from them at what I thought was a good price. I had less than $20 an acre in my corn. Come to find out later that another local had Parallel Plus (generic Bicep) for about $15 an acre. I'm sure both those treatments would have been half cost of what the coop sprayed on most of their customers acres.

As is often stated a sprayer is the highest ROI a farmer can make, hands down.

Agphd
Posted 1/4/2016 22:09 (#5011584 - in reply to #5006806)

no real reason to put choice and li 700 together with gly. Very inefficient now a days Better products and cheaper to treat your water. K state does some really good adjuvant trials with gly. In several Midwestern states Monsanto and Syngenta would not stand behind their glys if any of these two were used in combo or alone as water conditioner. If u figure u are using basic water (ph8-9) and gly is a weak acid (ph 4-4.5), when u add these 2 together there is "tie up" due to calcium and other cations. 1 qt/100 li 700 can effectively reduce your ph 3/4 a point generally speaking. Choice is a water conditioner, not a ph reducer (I had to learn all this the hard way). In order for choice to tie up hard water cations in a ph 9 solution, your rate is 2-3 gl/100 Ams not bad way to go or look into synthetic acid adjuvants. But adding the 2 together is way too expensive, inefficient and very profitable for the Canadiens!
Cooperator
Posted 3/31/2016 14:42 (#5212459 - in reply to #5006806)

Central Alberta
I've worked in this business for 40 years, and my best advice is to see what they actually do for you, not just what they say they will do. (same advice for politicians). Also, try to figure out if their advice is best for you, or best for themselves.

When you have a good front-line sales staff, with a good company behind them, you can't ask for better.
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)