AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Pushing internet through hills and trees
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Computer TalkMessage format

Gary Lyon
Posted 12/7/2015 14:12 (#4944874)
Subject: Pushing internet through hills and trees

Southeast Wyoming

I read a lot of talk about extending the internet to other farms with great interest.

I will attach a map of our potential locations.

The red spot at lower center is where we have internet, "home".  There are some tall trees just north of the house.  I have a 30' tower I could put at the east end of the trees IF necessary.

The terrain goes up hill (30-40' rise) to the north (sloping up to the NE) for about 1/2 mile to the blue spot where I would like to put a camera. 

The terrain is then flat for the 1/2 mile to the green spot where we want full internet service.   There may be line of sight from the top of a 30' tower at home to the green spot, depending on trees at the green spot and how high I locate an antenna.  This location and service is the most important, the camera locations would just be a bonus at this time if something will fit in at reasonable cost.

The yellow spot in the upper left of the image is 1 1/2 miles north and 1 mile west of home and would have line of sight to a tower at home, but my tree and the neighbors trees interfere with line of sight from an antenna right at my house.

I am wondering if some of the newer technology could push a signal from my house, not the tower, through my trees and the hill and the trees at the (green) location a mile to the north.  What about to the other locations, using one antenna?

Would I be better off to put up the tower which would better service all locations?

What equipment would you recommend, not just for antennas, but to get the signal from my router to an antenna (on the house or on the tower) and then from the antenna at the other end to a router and computer and antenna, equipment and cameras?

FWIW, I currently have a Linksys EA6400 router here at home.  I hope to incorporate it into the system.

I see a lot of recommendations for antenna brands but I hope to have some answers for the entire system.

I realize that the best networking option may be to move my internet service to the blue location a half mile north or to the yellow location, then distribute it from there but that is not in the plans at the moment.

Thank you.

(locations.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments locations.jpg (38KB - 232 downloads)
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)