AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Feeding Bottle Calf
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

AbbeyLizzy
Posted 11/29/2015 21:54 (#4927858)
Subject: Feeding Bottle Calf

Central Georgia/Southeast Nebraska
Every year for the past several years, we have raised a few bottle calves and this year's first was born on Tuesday. Mama abandoned her and if it's impossible to get them bonded back together, I will just bottle raise them. In the past, I have been able to get all of them full on a bottle in the morning and a bottle at night for the first few weeks, adding a full cup of milk replacer to each bottle. According to the instructions on the bag of replacer I'm using right now, I should be feeding 1/2 a pound of replacer per bottle based on her age/size. Currently, I am giving .7lbs and CANNOT get her full! I have ended up giving her more on a couple of occasions already and she will drink at least half of another bottle. Does anybody have any suggestions on what to do about this? I started out having to tube her because she was so weak and would suck on my fingers but wouldn't take a bottle for anything and now, she's a spunky little thing and already my favorite of all my bottle babies from years past. Thought I would add a few pictures too :)

Thought I should also add that if they become my bottle projects, they get a name and her (yes, her) name is Bert. My dogs clearly love her as well.

Edited by AbbeyLizzy 11/29/2015 22:14

(IMG_0440.JPG)

(IMG_0460.JPG)

(IMG_0482.JPG)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments IMG_0440.JPG (120KB - 136 downloads)
Attachments IMG_0460.JPG (181KB - 138 downloads)
Attachments IMG_0482.JPG (267KB - 133 downloads)
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)