AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

For the guys capturing basis and carry: Your daily market routine?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Market TalkMessage format

jpartner
Posted 11/30/2015 08:06 (#4928346 - in reply to #4927657)
Subject: RE: For the guys capturing basis and carry: Your daily market routine?

dpilot83 - 11/29/2015 19:56

I'm probably going to start using storage quite a bit more for 2016 and beyond. Prior to that most everything was going to town. I believe I need to develop a market routine to keep track of carry and basis if I'm going to effectively use storage.

Right now I'm just envisioning something simple like when I get up in the morning I check the carry on the crops and years I'm interested in (corn and Kansas City Wheat) and then perhaps record carry in a spreadsheet or something. Perhaps once a week or two I would contact the buyers I'm interested in dealing with and I would record basis for the delivery periods I'm interested in as well.

I'm sure that's a pretty crude system and I would imagine there are some of you who have a pretty polished routine. What do you do? Thanks.

Hi Pilot,

Far far from polished here, but I receive the basis bids from a couple different end users via email.   When the bids come, I make a mental note of the change of the day (if there was one).  At minimum once a week, and daily if things are moving decent daily, I add the values to my historical database of values - creating a price chart much the same as a futures chart and I apply the same type of techniques to the basis chart to get a grasp of the energy levels and probabilities on several different time frames. 

Take Care

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)