AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

What's best for me? Cows or stockers on stalks and wheat pasture?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

Texas Papaw
Posted 11/29/2015 23:07 (#4927987 - in reply to #4927908)
Subject: RE: What's best for me? Cows or stockers on stalks and wheat pasture?

Central Texas
Texas Papaw - 11/29/2015 21:15

Need to use whatever is best tool for the feed resources you have. Knew a man who died very wealthy by grazing fall purchased thin cull cows on corn stalks and wheat pasture. He had a little grass pasture where he summer grazed the ones that turned out to be bred and all the opens went to slaughter when fattened up. This may be an option for you. Use cattle to add value to your crop residues and other feed ingredients.

If going to keep growing corn, the cull cows on corn stalks may be your best option. If no wheat pasture just feed a few lb of ddgs, whole cottonseed or use liquid feed for protein supplement. Get about 40 culls bought right away, put them on 1 circle until have cleaned up most of corn from dropped ears. Do regular poop patrols checking fresh manure for the amount of corn in manure. When amount of corn really drops off, time to move to fresh circle. Cows should be fattened up in 100-150 days depending on cows and amount of corn available. 40 cows will give you a pot load to ship to packer when fat. Maybe even buy 50 and preg check before shipping. Send opens to packer and breds either to grass or sale barn. The opens will be your singles and doubles whereas the breds will be your home runs profitwise. Years ago figured 1 1/2 acres of corn and 2/3 acre wheat to carry a cow. With today's better standing corn varieties may take more corn acres/cow. Without wheat pasture, maybe 2.5-3 ac/cow to start. First time would stock light to figure out how it works for you. Keep track of how many acres/hd you use for future reference.

Have learned the only way to know for sure if something will work in my operation is to try it on a small scale then evaluate, adapt and move forward.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)