AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

What's best for me? Cows or stockers on stalks and wheat pasture?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

Hkfarms
Posted 11/29/2015 20:13 (#4927453)
Subject: What's best for me? Cows or stockers on stalks and wheat pasture?

South West Kansas
First off I would just like to thank the guys that post around here. I don't think you guys realize how much your posts help us young guys out.Here is my situation. The last few winters I have been running 2-300 stockers in a grower yard.. Lordy did I pick a hell of a time to get into the cattle business .. After 4 years of massive losses and gains.. ... I'm about even...the this spring I lost the lease on the yard I was renting (nothing I did wrong)... So I decided to build my own grower yard and am getting close to having that complete... But now as I get closer to buying calves, these markets have me wondering if back grounding calves is a substainable enterprise profit wise ( I have been using puts and hedging tools)... Soooooo now with the recent pull back in prices.. I'm wondering if a COW herd might be the way to go... Here is what I have to work with...500 ft of fence line bunk with pens and working facilities6 circles of 240+ bushel corn stalks to graze in the winter, 4 of Which are connected to the pens, and the other 2 circles are 10 miles away but together. I would be open to devoting the one circle that pins set on to full time cattle use eg. Chop silage, then plant and graze wheat/rye out... Or just plant rye after corn harvest and chop or graze? As you can see I really don't have a clue ha...So my question is to you guys how many cows can I run? How can I best utilize my forage? Should I just stick with stockers? I don't have summer grass. so Could dry lot my cows in the pens with a half circle all dedicated to cows? And feed a tmr thorough the summer....???Give me some Ideas!! the ice storm is givin me cabin fever! If u need more info jus ask
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)