AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Cotton yield ?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

lwcotn
Posted 11/29/2015 19:18 (#4927205 - in reply to #4927090)
Subject: RE: Cotton yield ?

Tenn Valley
There's a lot of variables that contributes to high yields - 1500# and more. Water holding capacity of the soil is one, the presence of nematodes, vert wilt & the wilt complexes, summer nighttime temperatures, N timing, holding & maturing a big top crop, factors affecting potash uptake, and to a degree - variety. Every cotton grower faces the "When is gonna rain?" situation. One thing I've learned through these many years is that when you make 3 bales per acre doesn't make you "Cotton Smart" just like making 400 lbs doesn't mean you're a dumb cotton grower. Cotton, of all the crops, is so finiky. It's truly the First Southern Belle. Like a Southern Belle, it long remembers anything you have done wrong to it - and when you do some good things, Cotton's attitude is - What are you going to do for me this week? I posted a pic of some very good cotton and counted my Blessings - because at 60 something, I don't know when I'll get to see another one like this past one. Keep at it and you'll hit a Big Cotton Crop, and maybe stretch it a few pounds. Different from other crops - a great cotton crop seperates a Cotton Grower from a bean farmer. Southern Pride!
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)