AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

South Americas soybean production
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Market TalkMessage format

Posted 11/29/2015 17:32 (#4926876 - in reply to #4926821)
Subject: RE: Simple.

1234 - 11/29/2015 16:07

As I understand it there is a good deal of land already cleared being used as cattle grazing in the north central part of Brazil. When the cattle overgraze it it can be converted into soybean land. Given the economics & political culture of Brazil there is every incentive to expand acres (more income) and almost no political incentive to stop the conversion (endemic corruption). The Brazilians are no different from the European colonists of North America, the sodbusting settlers of the Great Plains or Cliven Bundy of Nevada. They see it as opportunity to better their economic situation by using what appears to be an unused resourse that they have every natural right to and I understand their sentiments ( I don't agree with Bundy's radical views, just understand his feelings).
However, there is beginning to be some evidence that the current level of rainfall in central & norther Brazil depends on the trees in the rain forest by influencing the temperatures and adding moisture to the system. Some people are saying that the drought around San Paulo is the consequence of deforestation further west. If that is the case then further land conversion might lead to a decline in agricultural production and be self-limiting. We had to learn that lesson in the 1930's, they may in the coming years.

Do you suppose they are applying 200 lbs of potash to sustain two 40bu crops if they can't even get the crops they grow efficiently to port? I am one that see's the overall Brazil effect as overall sustainable but not on an ever larger scale. Those are not prairie soils.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)