AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

soil test
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

NE Ridger
Posted 11/29/2015 21:11 (#4927718 - in reply to #4927582)
Subject: RE: soil test

EC Nebraska
GrainTrader - 11/29/2015 20:40

Question, perhaps u have different parameters on where u want to be on soil test levels. But a soil testing over 50 # on the entire field for me gets no applied P.
Not being argumentative, just trying to learn. IMO the OP is good on P and low on K. That's why i agreed with the spread K attitude.

Question... At what P levels do you forgo MAP or DAP? (Not including any liquid in furrow app, I know some fellas will apply that regardless of soil test because they see a response from seed applied P/others).

50 # is only 25 ppm, correct? It depends some on what test was used, but, assuming Olsen, that doesn't seem all that high to me. And I'm only recommending maintenance rate of P. Not trying to build P above those levels.

I completely agree that K is more important than P for the OP, sorry if I didn't convey that in my post. However, ignoring P completely didn't seem like a good idea either.

For here, with soils below 7 pH, I'll spread P on anything below 30 ppm BrayP1. And maybe above on the good ground. My soils with 50+ ppm BrayP1 give me my best bean yields. That's not native P, those soils have been as low as single digit P1's in the past. It was built with MAP.

Stripped P is best on basic soils, but not everyone has a strip-till machine that can band dry fertilizer.

Edited by NE Ridger 11/29/2015 21:26
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)