AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Long term hog outlook
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

mikado
Posted 11/29/2015 13:26 (#4926405)
Subject: Long term hog outlook

SW WI
I have come to the conclusion that I won't be raising hogs forever. At one time I thought I would last a long time. Now I'm looking at plans to phase out of hogs.

These low prices are no doubt working on me but I've started to look at several years worth of records and I just feel the return for my time and capital invested is just not a good return. I have paid for land with paid for machinery growing crops to feed pigs in paid for buildings. I mix my own feed, do my own repairs, my own washing and I'm still saying this. I know low prices don't last forever, I feel over the last 15 yrs, my crop farming part of my farm has subsidized my hog feeding.

My opinion of the reason to feed any livestock is to add value to feedstuffs,my preference is home grown, assuming you can grow a crop cheaper than buying it in. This isn't happening consistently enough in hogs for me. Barns are not built for a long life. Maintenance is becoming an issue. I think I am looking at an extensive remodel in a few years and then I feel I would need to raise hogs for awhile after that to get my money back out. I'm not willing to do that.

Physically some of the work is getting harder for me and my wife. It won't be getting any easier. I think there are other opportunities for us, maybe outside of agriculture which I am o.k. with.

Every once and awhile someone comes on here and asks about putting up a barn for custom raising. I have never said much, to each their own, but I think it's a very poor return. To me it seems like a throw away industry, both people and buildings.

As you can tell, I'm very down on hogs. I wish everyone else the best with Thiers, I'm just looking forward to a different chapter in my life.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)