AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

2015 Cover Crop Plot Results for Corn
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

Pvafarm
Posted 11/28/2015 06:21 (#4923771 - in reply to #4923196)
Subject: RE: 2015 Cover Crop Plot Results for Corn

Southeast WI
Andrew nailed it pretty well below with his thoughts. Erosion control has always been my main concern - really after soybeans - but as this is a long term cover system I established and it gets rye after corn too. Seldom have issues with erosion following a normal corn crop with decent residue.

My thoughts are we wont know what long term benefits are from covers unless we actually do it. There are a lot of experts, lots of theories but majority of those experts havent done much of anything in actual production fields. The Jill Clapppertons, etal of the world have quite a bit of insight into what different plants can contribute, but what does that really mean to our bottom line? I want to deal in facts and thats why Im doing this plot work and sharing it here. This is real and done in a controlled manner. Some posters claim outrageous yield responses after covers - one recently was talking like 50 bpa more corn after rye. That kind of talk does nothing to promote cover crop use - if he/she actually is getting that I say go and put plots in and prove it out. I cant see how its possible.

In a corn-bean rotation cereal rye is about all we can grow as its planted after Oct 10 here on bean ground and 2-4 weeks later after corn grain. I figure cereal rye seed at $10 per bu, $15 to drill it in for my economics. Always pick a crappy 5-6 acres to grow rye on for seed for myself and get the 250-300 bu I need from that. When I say crappy ground think sandy ground. It is poor stuff.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)