AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

LP vs electric clothes dryer?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> AgTalk CafeMessage format

Gerald J.
Posted 11/26/2015 10:50 (#4920072 - in reply to #4919434)
Subject: RE: LP vs electric clothes dryer?

A perfect LP burner puts out 98,000 BTU per gallon. The efficiency of the heat exchanger to the air flow is less than perfect. I've seen electric dryers with heaters from about 1.5 KW to 4.5 KW. A perfect electric heater (way more likely) puts out 4512 BTU per KWH. The rate either heat source is used depends on the temperature rise desired for the air flow used. So the fuel use rate depends on the dryer design and the cleanliness of the dryer vent duct. There is a huge tendency for that duct to gather lint and if the dryer is in the basement with the vent going up I've had it plug solid. A tin or aluminum smooth duct flows more air than the simple to install corrugated pipe when clean. The dryer needs lint cleaned out inside every few years to keep it from igniting. I'd think that the gas dryer would be more prone to igniting lint that electric. I've never owned a gas dryer and so far none of the electrics have caught fire in my house, though one I sold to an aunt did in her house.

The real test has to be total fuel and electricity consumed per matched load of clothes and then the measured efficiency of the dryers is going to depend on the efficiency of the washing machine at the final spin removal of water from the clothes. If its not getting up to speed or staying up to speed as long, the dryer has a lot more work to do.

As an electrical engineer, I prefer the simplicity and safety of the electric dryer and water heater and kitchen range. I've been gassed by the fumes from a gas water heater and it wasn't fun when the stack didn't draw. I do heat the house with LP using a very high efficiency furnace with forced draft and that's the only flame in the house.

Gerald J.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)