AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Difference between Starfire Gen 1 and Gen 2?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Precision TalkMessage format

jd-tom
Posted 11/23/2015 09:56 (#4914660)
Subject: Difference between Starfire Gen 1 and Gen 2?

SW Minnesota
I am in the process of trying to put together an autosteer system for my 8300 tractor. Will be used mostly for pulling a 30' 1850 air drill to replace using the markers, as well as open-field tillage.

My plan is to use an ATU 200, brown box display with mobile processor, find an SF1 or SF2 keycard for it, and a Starfire receiver. Now this is where my question comes in. I talked to a guy that has quite an assortment of various Greenstar components for sale and he was walking me thru the various components, telling me the advantages/disadvantages of each component, both newer ones and older ones. He was telling me that one advantage of using an original Starfire globe is that they come programmed for both SF1 and SF2 and the newer globe you have to buy the unlock for them to use SF2. He also said that the Starfire ITC is an OK unit but it lacks the longevity of units newer and older than it. A lot of people want to steer me away from these older components, but according to this guy, these older units are actually more reliable than some of the newer ones just because they are built simple and rugged.

So can anyone verify this information? For this application, I'm trying to get a system put together as reasonably priced as possible. Don't know if I will want/need SF2 for this application, but if buying the older Starfire receiver gets me both SF1 and SF2 for no additional costs, I'm inclined to go that way. Also, what are the differences between the Gen 1 Starfire and the Gen 2? And how to you tell the difference by looking at each globe?

Thanks for any input!
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)