AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Alternator boils battery Smells like sewer!!!!!
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [50 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

Is it/ battery?SOHK.
Posted 8/16/2006 00:48 (#36171)
Subject: Alternator boils battery Smells like sewer!!!!!

My 2 month old battery on my truck started stinking like someone steped in dog poo-poo or someone was pumping sewer. Then upon opening the hood I discovered what the smell was and determined that my battery was violenty boiling. It lifted the vent caps up from presure. I then figured my alternator with an internal regulator was over charging and I replaced with a re-man alternator. I re-filled the battery with water as it was below the plates by now. Today we used the truck and it boils the battery over again. Is it the battery that is no good instead of the alternator?It started the engine just fine even without much water if any still in it .IS IT THE BATTERY and not the alternator that is BAD?How do I tell if ti is a bad battery?

Ive never heard of a battery that boils without overcharging it!
Ive got a new alternator and a 2 month old battery.....what else can it be?
Top of the page Bottom of the page
WYDave
Posted 8/16/2006 03:30 (#36183 - in reply to #36171)
Subject: RE: Alternator boils battery Smells like sewer!!!!!

Wyoming

The best way to eliminate the battery from consideration is to test the cells with a hydrometer to check the specific gravity of each cell.

http://buy1.snapon.com/catalog/item.asp?P65=&tool=all&item_ID=11359&group_ID=1497&store=snapon-store&dir=catalog

I'm not saying you have to purchase that particular one, but a float-type hydrometer is best, in my experience.

If all cells are a) indicating fully charged and b) very close in specific gravity to each other's readings, then the alternator is over-charging. To get the level of action you're describing, I'd reckon that the voltage being fed to the battery is definately over 15 volts. If the over-charging has boiled off the electrolyte from the battery, then the battery is going to be a goner Real Soon Now, unless that electrolyte gets replaced.

Old Pokey
Posted 8/16/2006 09:00 (#36228 - in reply to #36183)
Subject: And if you buy a hydrometer.......

wear goggles while using it and clean it out very well after use. Then, put it somewhere kids cant get to. That thing will be a very, very bad toy to play with, just like any other battery maintainence tools.

I'm thinking you may have a shorted battery. I had one of the batteries on my IH combine short a few years ago. It was'nt a very old battery either, but I got caught up in the cold cranking amp sales pitch and over looked the heavy duty battery. Once one shorted, it ruined both, but the one that shorted was smoking. It allmost burst. When I shut the machine off, the smell was overpowering. I did'nt stick around to inhale anymore of it. I watched for fire for a while, then came back when it had cooled. It still stunk, but I was able to remove it without any further incident.
Chad H
Posted 8/16/2006 10:13 (#36246 - in reply to #36171)
Subject: Re: Alternator boils battery Smells like sewer!!!!!

NE SD
Your battery is shorted out. We had two of them short out on one of the trucks in less than a year. Both of them let out a terrible skunk smelling odor when the shorted out.
sohk
Posted 8/17/2006 02:08 (#36468 - in reply to #36171)
Subject: More on the alternator/ battery problem

Today I tested my Re manufactured altenator and also had a shop test it. It turned out good,Then I had a NAPA STORE TEST the battery on the side posts I used (for the truck)His tester said to replace the battery. The top posts tests said the battery was good.Then I had the other store where I bought the battery test with a VERY simular tester and it said the battery was good on all posts. I bought a new one again any way and asked for my money back on my old battery.I had a hard time to get them to take it.
I have not used the truck yet but sure hope this cures my problems.
If it isnt the battery and the alternator ....what else could cause the boiling?
The Napa guy says his tester costs $1700 dollars!!!!!
Gerald J.
Posted 8/17/2006 10:57 (#36548 - in reply to #36468)
Subject: RE: Proper charging voltage . . .

Shock and vibration from a tractor bounding over the plain with the batteries not solidly anchored to the battery case will also hasten their demise. Plates break loose from the plate connecting bars and that's capacity loss. When one cell looses capacity that way, it always gets overcharged while trying to charge the rest of the cells and its the near to full charge and overcharge condition that causes the water to depart as H and O gas. Looks like its boiling, but its not quite so hot.

For least shock and vibration the batteries need to be amidships or more towards the stern where the larger tires ride smoother than the dinky front tires often supplied.

Gerald J.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [50 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)