AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Tips for Rebuilding a John Deere Drill
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

James_ncKS
Posted 10/9/2015 10:26 (#4831050)
Subject: Tips for Rebuilding a John Deere Drill

Northcentral Kansas
I recently rebuilt my new to me 1895 drill. Replaced upper arm pins and bushings and closing arm bushings. Replaced boots and fixed the slop with Needham extended wear boots and bushings as well as Martin 20 point crumblers and and V8 firming wheels. Needham narrow urethane gauge wheels and of course new disk also. This was my first time doing a complete rebuild. I found that backing the drill up on railroad ties made it much easier to work on. Be sure to block it in place good. I removed each unit by driving the upper arm pin and spring pin out. This was much easier than removing the 4 bolts that hold it to the rock shaft. At the time I didn't have a press to remove the upper arm bushing and beating it out with a hammer was not working so I devised this system that worked really well. First I made some sleaves that fit inside the bushings that a bolt fit tight inside. These line up the new bushings. Next I put the new bushings on the outside and pull them in and push the old ones out by tighting the nut with an air impact. I lubricated the nut and bolt with brake fluid but still ruined about 5 nuts and bolts doing 44 openers.

Edited by James_ncKS 10/9/2015 10:41

(Bushings_1.jpeg)

(Bushings_2.jpg)

(Drill.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments Bushings_1.jpeg (176KB - 39 downloads)
Attachments Bushings_2.jpg (157KB - 42 downloads)
Attachments Drill.jpg (124KB - 47 downloads)
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)