AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

At What Moisture
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

bubbadam
Posted 10/8/2015 15:29 (#4829599 - in reply to #4829143)
Subject: RE: At What Moisture

East Central ND
We have put in corn at 24% or more and been able to dry it down to 14.5% with just an air floor at three 30 horse fans. We have two 38,000 bushel bins that we do this with. We invested in a "Bin Manager" system a few years back, it was plenty spendy but it pays for itself in no time. It automatically starts and stops the fans based on the humidity and air temp to get the best drying and also cool down available. You go in and set your "desired" temperature and moisture and set it to Auto Dry & Cool and it does the rest. When we haul it out the moisture ranges from 13.5%-14.5%, that is with setting the desired moisture to 14.5%. One of the major things where it pays for itself is it monitors for hot spots automatically. We had an 8,000 bushel bin heat up on us a few years ago (our own fault for not watching it closer) and we ended up having to haul out 2,000 bushels or more of corn out the top of the bin.

It doesn't take long to pay for itself in efficient use of electricity and also keeping the hotspots out so the corn doesn't spoil. I know it probably wasn't the answer you were looking for but if you want to save yourself some stress you should look into it. I don't like to try and sell things like this but it has been a life saver as it will send me text message and e-mail notifications if there is a hotspot and if it tried to start the fans and the power was out or something like that. You can view all of the sensor readings as far as moisture and temperature on their website in your account so you can keep track of where you're at and a running total of how many hours the fans have run in total or for a specific day.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)