AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

To chop or not to chop?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

Greywolf
Posted 10/8/2015 10:28 (#4829281 - in reply to #4828433)
Subject: At some point in time

Aberdeen MS
the stalks have to get to the ground for microbial action to occur. That action is needed for the residue to "disappear" and to reclaim the stored nutrients back into the soil profile. The stalks only dry out standing up.... they don't deteriorate.

What you need to do at this time is have a plan for what you will do next spring for corn planting. I farmed in Sibley Co, so I'm very familiar with your conditions. I will wager being your first yr into the process, come next spring, your residue covering will look just like your photo. Only figure about a 30% reduction over next growing season and then you will be adding another corn crop residue on top of what you already have.

In Southern MN, you will have an extremely difficult time to "get on top" of the residue build up leaving the stalks tall.

Don't give up, by about yr 4 you will see very favorable result, but it will be a challenge to get there.

Chopping stalks in the fall has the devil in the details. It can be done, but has to be managed very differently than you are used to to stop blowing. The mat will be there to contend with, but you will have that mat regardless.

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)